About Me

My Photo
I am a wife to the most amazing husband (Eric) and a mother to 2 wonderful kids (Jessica and Evan). My family is my world. I have recently put my career as a medical assistant on hold to be a stay-at-home mom/wife. We want to raise kids with manners and still have a strong family, so I am always trying ideas to help make things easier on me (cleaning tips, organization, meal planning, crafts, etc.) I thought I would share them with everyone out there. So, please comment with your ideas, or if you have tried one posted on here (Did you like it?) I am always open to suggestions. I am also looking for money savers. It's my new passion now that there is only 1 income.

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Homemade Carpet Shampoo


I know I haven't posted in a while, and there is a good reason for that. CRAZY BUSY FAMILY! I have been spring cleaning my butt off....well I wish my butt was smaller....anyways, back to the post.

I wanted to share with you all my homemade carpet shampoo. Shampoo in stores (even generic) is soooo expensive! I don't know about all of you, but our wallet is thin in this house. So here is a FANTASTIC recipe to get your carpets super clean!



First, I went through and spot treated any bad areas, and let me tell ya...there were a lot more than I thought (and we only have fish as pets, so use your imagination). People wearing their shoes in the house, and kids (ahem...and spouses) spilling God-knows-what, it was very polka-dotted....




Then, I added 1 Tbsp baking soda to the bottom of my container followed by 1/3 cup of vinegar.
Next, I added HOT water to the fill line.
Last, I added 1 Tbsp laundry detergent.

I have a standard carpet steamer:

This is what the shampoo sucked out of the carpets...it disgusts me! Needless to say, I did the carpets a second time. The 1st pic in this post is from the 2nd run.




25 comments:

  1. Just found this post on pinterest. I'm going to shampoo the carpets in our rental this week. I not looking forward to the color of that water... Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just cleaned my carpet with your recipe with one little change. I used Borax washing soap instead of the laundry detergent. OMG my carpet has not looked this good since it was new. Thanks so much for your hard work at figuring out a good recipe. Amazing how vinegar is so good for so many things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this on pinterest a few hours ago. You are without a doubt my favorite person in the world at the moment!! We got a puppy a few weeks ago and our 4 year old fur baby finds it clever to mark his territory while we sleep. I'm a neat freak and have had about enough of that, but thanks to you my home no longer smells like pee and smells like Gain (one of my top 3 favorite scents on the planet) instead of the super expensive, scent that I can tolerate, store bought junk. THANK YOU!!

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are army nothing short of amazing!!! Thanks for the recipe found you on pinterest. I am excited to they this recipe. I have the same steam cleaner as you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that was supposed to say awesome not "army"... Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just steamed cleaned my carpets last night with that super expensive store cleaner! Darn I wish I had saw this first. Oh well, I still have the upstairs to go, I will try this instead and compare the two. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am doing this in just a few minutes! So excited to see how well this works! i have two dogs and a kid... and well we all know how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ive just tried this and it works just as well (if not better) than leading name brands. My carpets were friggin grodyt (teenagers + dogs + cats = not an easy task!) , now theyre Tide clean! :) I love finding a legit pin!

    ReplyDelete
  9. would it be okay to use apple cider vinegar? that is all I have on hand but I really want to try it NOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have done this but I use Borax but I also added a few drops of essential oil to give it a wonderful smell. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Does this leave your house smelling of vinegar?...

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is WONDERFUL!! We have 3 cats and 3 dogs (2 of whom have diarrhea at the moment) and I just used this in my Bissel carpet cleaner. We steam clean a LOT and I have grown really sick of the smell of the cleaner (I associate it with urine now). Commercial cleaners leave a soapy residue where this did not! And no odor (used Borax)! Plus I think it would do wonders for the underlay and it would kill the odor causing bacteria that is hard to get to. Needless to say, worked wonders on the skidmarks one dog left on every room last night : (

    ReplyDelete
  13. Our carpets are old and were a beige color...I add clorox too and it doesn't take the color out...so if you don't care about the carpet you can add clorox too. I have done it several times and it brightens up the carpet

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi! I have just bought another carpet cleaning machine. I tried this recipe and it was wonderful. I added a combination of liquid detergent and borax and upped the vinegar for extra umph! Our carpets have never looked so good. =] Next time, I will add some essence oils for that extra clean smell we been classically trained for. =D

    To the curious: No, cleaning with vinegar does not leave a scent. As the vinegar dissipates, so does the odor. Distilled White vinegar is amazing as a cleaning agent. Try using it more instead of toxic chemical cleaners! You'd be surprised. =]

    ReplyDelete
  15. I TOSS DIRTY WATER IN THE TOILET--KEEPS MY TUBS FROM CLOGGIN UP

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am so glad I found your site. I don't like a lot of chemcals and I like things cheap. Can't wait to try this out. Thanks! Thesweetestlovexoxo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. My carpet cleaner has two compartments. One for water and the other for solution. How would you recommend I do the mixture with that in mind?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am wondering the same thing about 2 compartments like anonymous above. any of you that have tried this recipe, if you had a 2 compartment shampooer, how did you do it? thanks, darlene

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have also found recipe that uses febreeze, going to try to add a little to see if I leaves a nice scent in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Don't mix vinegar and bleach!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have read that over time the vinegar will break down the softer plastic in my steam cleaner. Without knowing for sure it makes me hesitant to try any homemade recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Im wanting to know about the 2 compartment shampooer not sure how this would work I could put it all in the bottom then what would I put in the cleaner solution compartment

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to have a 2-compartment Bissell Green Machine and now have an upright. The Green Machine tank was 2 gallon vs. 1 gallon in the upright, so I would double the amount of soda/vinegar/detergent and then water to the fill line.

    ReplyDelete